[simpits-tech] B1-B on it's belly

Brian Sikkema bjsikkem at gimail.af.mil
Wed Dec 13 10:29:37 PST 2006

Basically it went like this:

The pilots (who I've heard were not exactly the cream of the crop - in fact I heard the comment "something like this was bound to happen") had been in a holding pattern waiting to land for some time (a couple of hours, I believe). Due to weather and other conditions they were in a low and slow holding pattern, so the gear warning announciator was going off, so they silenced it. Then when they finally did go in for landing, they forgot to turn the announciator back on.

Of course it's pretty bad that you need the gear announciator in order to remember what to do... But that's the whole story (or at least the whole story as I have heard it from other B1 guys).

Brian