[simpits-tech] Flying very low

Andre Breytenbach a_breytie at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 07:25:38 PST 2005

Yes, thats low, but could they fly that low over
terrain? In the days of our infamous "bush war" pilots
knew 1 altitude for commuting - below 300ft.
Manportable SAM (mostly SAM 7) and AAA (mostly ZSU
23-2) was the main threat, but birds the main cause of
damage. I saw a DC3 land with most of it's tail
feathers missing due to an RPG - the pilot steered
with the throttles!

Ingress was at (not above) treetop. To manuver, they
had to climb to get wingtip clearance to the trees.
Choppers often had green streaks along the sides at
the pilot's eye level. They could, as the desert air
filters on the turbine inlets prevented FOD damage.
Inop instruments due to leaves plugging pitots was
common, as was landing difficulties due to branches
stuck in the gear. They got quite good at holding a
hover at 5 Ft while the ground crew removed the
offending greenery and sometimes made emergency
repairs.

SimNut (ex South African Air Force)

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1131880548/Extremely_low_altitude_flying