[simpits-tech] Hmmm.

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Thu May 19 21:51:31 PDT 2005

About a year ago I was in an electronic surplus store and found an LCD
screen. I decided to get it since the 3" by 3" screen looked great for
making an RWR or radar display for the simpit I hope to eventually start
building. I took it home, but was dismayed to find that the company that
made the screen is long dead and no info on the screen or how to drive it
could be found anywhere. So I tossed it in a box and ignored it until now.

Being bored, I decided to look again and managed to find the datasheet for
the IC that controls the LCD. So now I actually might be able to get it to
work. The functions of most of the pins on the back are still mysterious to
me since the components on the PCB get in the way of me tracing where they
lead and because my multimeter's batteries are currently dead, but I have
figured out ground, power, and reset, plus a couple of the actual I/O pins.
I can hook up it up and get the backlight to come on, albeit dimly, but I
expect that's because I was feeding the screen itself 9 volts and it
probably takes 12. Unfortunately a 9 volt battery was all I had as a power
source at the time.

At least I know something in there works, now maybe when I can get around to
building a PIC programmer, buying a few microcontrollers, and learning to
program them I can also figure out how to drive the LCD.

My biggest challenge is that I have absolutely no money. As a 17-year old
high school student in a lower-middle-class family and no time for an actual
job, I find my options are usually limited.

At least I've been damn lucky so far; I have a complete HOTAS setup with a
Suncom F-15 throttle, a CH F-16 Combat stick, and CH pro pedals, all of
these purchased for less than 5$ each from Goodwill. The flight sticks tend
to be less than 3$. Of course, you do get what you pay for, and I've gone
through no less than five Suncom F-15E Talon joysticks as well as two other
CH joysticks, all worn out from excessive simming. I just somehow keep
finding the same thing over and over and over again. In fact, I already
found a fourth CH combat stick for when this one wears out.

I have no idea how this happens. Hell, the LCD I found in the surplus store
I bought for 3$.

I have plenty of great ideas, but so far they only exist on paper. In fact,
I honestly may have to construct them out of paper. So far my plan is to
take a cardboard box (from an OEM video card), poke holes in it, insert
toggle switches from Radio Shack into holes, and wire that up to the
electronic bits from a keyboard I ripped to pieces. I haven't gotten around
to this yet.

For MFDs, (besides maybe the LCD) I have 2 ancient GRiDCase laptops on which
I can display flight instruments in the form of orange, glowing, gas-plasma
CGA graphics. The oldest is a 286 that was made in 1987, has 1 mb of RAM and
a 20mb hard drive. The other's a 386. Both lack network capability (besides
their 2400 baud modems) so I'll have to settle for serial communication.
I'll have to write all of the software myself.

To simulate the forces of gravity, I can hold a few GRiD laptops in my lap;
each weighs about 15 lbs and is almost the size of a VCR. They actually
aren't too bad, especially compared to contemporary "portable" PCs. They are
also historically significant and just exude coolness.

For a display I have a large monitor and a gigantic (over 3 feet wide)
fresnel lens that I got totally free; we were at the city dump, there was
someone dropping off a dead projection TV, and we managed to talk them into
letting us take the lens. It would've been a shame if it had ended up in a
landfill. Aside from some dirt and a few scratches, it's perfect. I have yet
to find a free monitor large enough to do it justice.

There, I'm done. Sorry if I got too ranty.