[simpits-tech] Went flying yesterday....

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Mar 23 23:42:09 PST 2005

Bubba wrote:

> Matt Bailey wrote:
> > Of all the creative ways I've come up with to destroy and/or
> > prematurely end a model's flight, strangely, socializing with the
> > foliage has not been amongst
> > them.
>
> The one really, really bad rekitting I've performed, maiden flight of my 2nd
> SS, resulted in a full throttle, full down elevator meeting with a few
> hundred blades of grass from about 50 feet. All I could save was the wing
> and tail from about halfway between the stab and TE back. Wound up splicing
> the v-tail onto the first SS and stretched it about 4" in the process. Flies
> MUCH better now.

	My best plane-to-toothpicks conversion would probably be a tie between
two incidents, neither of which were entirely my fault. :P First one was
some odd control problems with my original trainer (might have been a
frozen aileron servo), which resulted in a rolling descent and about 2.5
months in a corn field. Salvaged radio and engine though. The second was
when I was trying to teach my dad to fly the things. I was inexperienced
and let him get out too far and too low, he got right-left confused and
headed quickly for the ground. Unfortunately, this trainer happened to
have a TT .46 Pro, nicely tuned and running full bore............I took
over but didn't have enough altitude to do what I was trying to do (pull
from inverted to level). Surprisingly, the only serious damage to the
engine that I noticed was a broken carb. We sent the engine and a letter
of explanation to TT, asking how much it would cost to
repair............they sent it back, repaired, saying it was covered by
warranty! w00t! This engine is still going, it's the one in my Tiger, in
fact.

> > I finally got to go flying last week too, the weather is starting to
> > warm up
> > here (southern IN). Still dialing in my recently restored Tiger 2, it
> > keeps
> > nosing over during taxi. :P Sure flies nice though..........
>
> Need a training wheel? ;)

	Bah, part of the restoration & mod'ing process involved getting rid of
that stupid thing in the first place. :P

	-Matt Bailey