[simpits-tech] Sorry, Gene...

Ben Jones bjones at pipecomp.com.au
Wed Jun 29 19:26:26 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bubba" <mysticz28 at swbell.net>

>> What exactly do you mean by the aileron and rudder "swapping
>> jobs"?
>
> At low airspeeds most planes don't react as usual to aileron and rudder.
> Trying to level the wings with the ailerons induces more yaw than roll,
> making the problem worse, and using the rudder to yaw does a better job
> raising the low wing because of differential airspeed. However, 150s don't
> have enough dihedral to be able to roll with rudder input, so it doesn't
> work that way.

I thinks the technical term for this is "adverse aileron yaw" encounted at
slow speeds and high angles of attack  its caused by the upgoing aileron
creating more drag thus yawing the aircraft , because of the slow speed the
down going aileron at high angles of attack doesn't have enough airflow over
the wing to creat lift and roll the wing over ......

 ie when trying to enter a spin .....

 if you want a really interesting spin in a cessna 152 apply full power
have a huge angle of attack ( usally out of a zoom climb when you have a
high enertia) at the point of loss of forward airspeed apply full rudder in
the intended direction of the spin and violently throw in full opposite
aileron with full back elevator and wait for a split second .... with my
past experiences in spinning aircraft the aircraft will roll into its back
inverted in a flick over the top ********* then chop all power to idle as
the aircraft roll over inverted  ********* when you finally get correct side
up neut the ailerons back the centeral position hold full back pressure with
the full rudder still in hold it for about 3 revs the centralise all
controlls and carry out a standard spin recovery ....

now for the disclamer .....................

being a relative low hour pilot only do this manouver in a cessna 152
aerobat with a fully licenced aerobatic rated instructor on board  this type
of spinning can be verry unnerving to a pilot new to spinning  ...... but
can also be verry fun once you are fully conversent with advanced spinning
... btw dont do it with you wife or new girlfriend as vomit on the
windscreen and instrument pannel can greatly reduce your vis at a time where
you want max vis ( YES i am speaking from experience ) .

and only enter these violent spins at a height of about 6000agl  some times
recovery can cause you to loose about 2000 - 3500 feet .
if you fluff it up or you enjoy the scenery going down , i have had a cessna
go inverted, yaw and the flick back the other way even before the nose is
down and the rotations begin ..

i have done very tame and standard spind in a cessna 150A model 1962 (if my
memory serves me correct) but with a huge vertical tail as the old a models
had recovery was pretty automatic just a sniff or rudder and "pop" it was
out ....... ahh too lame for me

hope my rambelling helps

regards

ben