[simpits-tech] It just showed up at my doorstep

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 2 22:06:23 PDT 2005

I actually got a reply, believe it or not, and pretty quickly, too. They
said that since it was a piece of "military equipment" that they couldn't
just give any information to just anybody, and that I'd have to disclose
more information about me and my "company". I didn't bother telling him I
don't work for one, which is probably for the best. Maybe they're afraid
terrorists will use their avionics to navigate to and crash into buildings.
I can't think of any rational explanation for this.

So I replied, telling them what I planned to do with it and that it'd never
go near an airworthy aircraft. I also pointed out that I already own the
instrument and could always just take it apart and trace the connections by
hand, and that none of this information is secret in any way.

The guy emailed me again asking for my fax number, I gave it to him. Haven't
heard back since. That was 7 hours ago. I sent it at about 4 PM Wisconsin
time, so I guess they just got let out. I'm still hopeful, but I'll be
amazed if they actually send me any real, useful information.

Not all military contractors are impossible to get information from, at
least. Some aren't so bad. Hell, I had a nice long chat with a guy from GRiD
Defense Systems last year about how to get one of my surplus computers
running. Ever tried taking apart a TEMPEST-rated, military surplus laptop?
The shell is a magnesium alloy, with a milled aluminum chassis holding
everything together, it's all hermetically sealed, and everything inside is
covered in copper foil, to defeat electromagnetic emmissions. Mine were
never de-milled, either. I want to incorporate them into my simpit somehow,
just to add to the cool factor.