[simpits-tech] Controlling synchros

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Jun 1 19:44:49 PDT 2005

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Since I've got a remote attitude indicator coming in the mail any day
> now (my first real aircraft instrument), I've been thinking a lot about
> how to drive it. Almost everyone seems to think driving synchros is an
> almost impossible task, but I'm not so sure. Trying to generate the
> signals to control them would definitely be a hell of a challenge, but
> I'm wondering, wouldn't it be possible, and much less frustrating, to
> wire the indicator synchro a torque transmitter, the rotor of which is
> controlled mechanically by a stepping motor or the like? I'd rather not
> gut the indicator if I can find any way to use it in its original state.

The cheapest method I've seen to drive these things is by coupling a
stepper motor to the shaft of a synchro transmitter.  You then wire up
the transmitter to the resolver in the instrument and you've got a
bargain basement "digital" to synchro converter.

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"
Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only of its kind.