[simpits-tech] Need a plan

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Thu Jan 27 21:20:33 PST 2005

Matt Bailey wrote:

> Idea: wait about 2 years after "deciding" on your plane before
> actually purchasing/building it. ;)

Hell, in 2 years I should have the airframe "finished" and waiting for
avionics and engine!

> Hummmmm, I dunno. I've always had reservations about car engines in
> planes. I
> guess if you totally redid the engine and used high quality aviation
> stuff throughout, you might be ok, though I would expect potential
> problems like
> cracked cylinder heads or thrown pistons, valve troubles, etc to be a
> little
> more likely on such an engine (due to the probable case of it having
> lower
> quality alloys and less stringent manufacturing process control when
> made).

Think about this. The average car engine gets treated like crap (compared to
aviation engines) and lasts many, MANY hours longer (150k miles is about
equal to 300k hours!) I did find out that the Corvair engine does have a
thrust bearing, too, so it's perfect.

> I just looked it up.......cool looking plane! Only problem is it's a
> side-by-side seater, and too fat. :P The KR1 I see is a single
> seater, but it
> looks like a bad cartoon knockoff of the RV-3.

Actually it's too narrow for 2 people, so I'm going to put one seat right in
the middle, wide armrests on both side with some room for misc. pilot crap,
and a fairly large baggage compartment between the firewall and panel.
Should have plenty of room for my crap.

> Ah, a "functional" mock-up, good idea. :)

I've been trying, with little success, to build a flight model and panel for
FS9. The panel is pretty close to done, but I'm not even close with the
flight model.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net