[simpits-tech] Need a plan

Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net
Thu Jan 27 18:41:31 PST 2005

At 04:43 AM 1/27/2005, you wrote:
>Bubba wrote:
>>>
>>>It's been decided, I'm going to build an RV-4 :)
>>
>>Scratch that. RV-8 :) I'm 6'4" and 265#. The bigger cockpit would be
>>nice.
>
>Ok, scratch that again ;) I'm thinking KR2S with a 110 hp Corvair engine
>now. I've been wanting to convert a car engine to spin a prop for years
>and the Corvair looks to be about perfect. The only 3 problems I see with
>converting car engines are the lack of thrust bearings (not that big of a
>problem, look at all the VW motors flying around), the power range being
>way wrong, and no way to use a hydraulic CS prop. Everyone tends to stick
>gearboxes on there to slow the prop down, but there's a better way
>  Just get a camshaft ground for the range needed.

Bubu,
I have messed about with a few Corvair Engines in my back-in-the-day.. Its
way heavy and the manifolds are part of the head casting itself... Crown
Eng in Calif.. did my heads to mount Webers and beter exhaust systems. They
had to mil the old headers (intake & exhaust) off the head and weld plates
to it. Then it was a $$ in 71 dont know if they still are there.
Also you mentioned that you want to  get a custom ground cam.. ok but car
engines make power at HI RMPs
and not LOTS of torque. your motor has to turn over at 1500 rpm thats about
max for the prop. (but the motor
touque is at much higher rpms  good luck

Cris Harrison
www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim

and please take an other look at my soft sim idea...