[simpits-tech] FTP down?

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Mon Jan 24 22:19:34 PST 2005

I'm pretty open to ideas right now. I've experimented with helo style
("lever", pivots at base) pedals, and old fashioned rudder bar. Both failed.
I'm now leaning towards the cabinet-track idea, as it would allow plenty of
force on the pedals without much danger of structural problems. I worked on a
rudder bar assembly a bit tonight, and thought about picking up some hardware
tomorrow so I could build a box to mount the shaft, but I really don't think
this setup will be robust enough. It would be a shaft tapped into a scrap of
lumber, with the shaft going down into the base of the unit. I think the
mounts for the shaft would wear quickly (wood base), as would the point where
the bar connects to the shaft. I've seen a few examples of the slide type and
I think with some modifications it might be the best route for me to take.

I've seen slide units that use a cable or wire of some sort to interconnect
the two pedals.....I think I'll pick up some old bike parts and use a chain
and some sprockets. This will allow me to smoothly interconnect the pedals,
connect them to a pot, and wouldn't require a lot of tension in the system
for a tight and precise feel.

I really don't like the pedals that sit almost flat on the floor, very
unrealistic. I'll probably make a U-shaped structure for each pedal out of
wood, then close the U at the top with a piece of metal tubing. Then I could
mount a pedal vertically in this structure (or slight tilted up), and have it
rotate about the tubing for braking.

I'd like to explore the possibility of mounting a rudder bar on a shaft with a
sprocket on it, and mount pedals on the ends of the bars with sprockets on
their mount shafts. By running a chain to connect the two pedals and center
shaft, the pedals would always face forward as the bar moved. But I don't
really have suitable materials for this.

Rather frustrating....I don't have access to the tools and materials I really
need. A CNC shop would make this so much nicer! :) At least the rest of the
stuff is going ok...my PC-case joystick is working beautifully, the throttle
box works nice, and I've got a promising start on a simple gear/flaps/
parking-brake/tuning control panel. And I've got some stuff lined up for a
helo collective, with twist throttle.

	-Matt Bailey