[simpits-tech] Fed up with MS etc... Maybe New Sim

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Mon Jan 24 16:54:17 PST 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 12:08, Manuel Bessler wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:53:11 -0600
>
> Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net wrote:
> > Hi gang....
> > Are feed up with MS Flight sim and others? Need info cant get it..
> > want to do something different..
> > Want to get rid of EPIC cards and more crap...
> > What freedom to do what you want to do?
> >
> > Ok then please look at my NOTAM notice for Software under development.
> > www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/notams.shtml
> > www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/software.shtml
> >
> > I need to know what's cool and what's not.
>
> I see you listed FlightGear on that page...
>
> The point "can't talk to it" is definately not valid for FlightGear.
> There are a bunch of methods to get data in and out of the simulator.

	Plus it's open source, which leaves it pretty open-ended. If it can't suit
your needs with what access the "stock" build provides, you can always roll
your own version.

	I thought I'd point out something about X-Plane, actually........I'm not sure
when you last looked into it, but for a while (since late 6.x, IIRC), X-Plane
has supported a rather powerful plug-in API. Ben and Sandy have done an
awesome job on it......sounds like with your programming experience you'd be
in good shape. Here's the official page for it, if you want more info:
http://xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/index.html

	Also, X-Plane by default allows UDP output of various data items (not nearly
as much as the API, unfortunately, but it's growing now and then). You can
also send data to X-Plane this way, either to change specific data items
(like switch positions), or send events (like mouse clicks at specific
coordinates, keystrokes, sounds, text). The big issue here is that the format
of data packets isn't documented really well.......ok, it's documented, but
the packet format often changes when the docs do not. ;) Still, it's a dead
easy way to make add-on software and hardware work with X-Plane. When I first
started messing with it, I was pretty much a programming idiot (for instance,
I had to look up a tutorial to know how to even get a UDP server running).
After a bit of asking and a lot of head banging, I was able to read the
packets just fine in Python. I suspect if you looked at the docs you could
have it working smoothly on the first go. :) I will eventually be using it
for my MFD software and various switches/controls. It should work really
smooth for switches......scan switches via a joystick API (in my case,
Pygame, which rocks much), look at X-Plane's data, and if they don't match,
send the appropriate keystroke/mouse event or just arbitrarily change the
switch data item.

	-Matt Bailey