[simpits-tech] Need a plan

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Wed Jan 19 19:19:16 PST 2005

I've been slacking off lately and not working on anything related to a 'pit,
but since 100LL is about $3/gal. and clicking the radio stack sucks, I want
a radio stack and GPS. What are the current options for an IO gizmo that can
handle a nav/comm (16 active digits, 4 encoders, 2 buttons), a transponder
(4 active digits, 10 buttons), and an AP (9 active digits, 2 encoders, 8
buttons)? I'm sticking with my original USB joystick adapter idea for the
yoke, pedals/brakes, and power cluster. I think I'll wimp out and build the
panel with copies of either SFS or Blue Mountain EFIS. If I can talk Garmin
out of a display model I want to put an LCD in it and wire up the buttons.
Always wanted to do that :) The yoke is gonna be fun. Have lathe, will
fabricate :)

For now I'm just resisting the urge to talk my Dad into a Citabria I found
for sale. As much fun as that would be, it would SUCK for instrument time. I
want something that tries to stay right side up and the Citabria just
doesn't care ;) Besides, I'm going to fly to Reno this year and that would
be a bit of a nerve wracking flight. Anyone have a mil and a half I could
borrow? There's a nice T-6 II (PC-7) for sale... ;)
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net