[simpits-tech] Small CRT's

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sun Jan 16 17:18:36 PST 2005

All this talk about the Sony LCD has got me thinking about small displays for sim use.

I've always figured that small CRT's should be pretty cheap, and should work well for instrumentation, but I don't see them around too much.

I just ran across some CRT's on ebay, they are from projectors. Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75405&item=5744238588&rd=1

Any idea what all would be required to get something like this working with the S-video-out on a video card? Or VGA, but I'm guessing
S-video would be simpler.

That screen is listed as "green" so I'm assuming it's monchrome (fine for certain types of displays) but I'm not sure what kind of projector
would be monochrome.............

An old portable TV with video inputs seems like a good solution, but I can't seem to find much in that area either. RadioShack has portable
LCD TV's, but of course they have tuners and audio and other junk and cost waaaay too much (like $400 for a 10" unit).

I'm thinking it would be handy to use 5" or 7" screens to make each individual glass instrument, as opposed to putting a big monitor or LCD
screen behind the panel. It would be more flexible (you don't have to have instruments clustered together) and save space, plus there's the
"cool" factor. :)

	-Matt Bailey