[simpits-tech] Now that's a good deal

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sun Jan 16 13:46:03 PST 2005

Awesome. :) Ah yes I recognize the "board" part of the scooter now, with the
emblem on it. :) I'm guessing that one says "Razor"? Or "Mongoose"? Actually
I work on bicycles and similar stuff at a local retail store here in the US,
and I've messed with some little electric scooters like this. We have not
only some junk bike and scooter stuff, but also there are a lot of nice metal
fixtures etc in the store, which sometimes get thrown away.........one of
these days I'm going to have to work up the nerve to ask a manager if I can
have some of the junk stuff. :) There are these nice chrome-looking fixtures
we use for hanging clothes on, they would be awesome for building
controls....

In the construction of my quick-hack-til-I-build-a-pit controls, I've used:

Old 486 case, gutted

Aluminum pipe from an R/C plane rack (and the pipe was for a ham radio antenna
before that, if I'm not mistaken)

Base, pedals, and some other stuff from a V3 wheel/pedal racing combo

Music wire and wheel collars, from R/C planes

Various R/C plane control linkages

Plus some nuts & bolts, other R/C accessories like wiring harnesses, and of
course the "new" stuff (mainly just the potentiometers and the Plasma
module). It's interesting what you can come up with when you start scavenging
parts off of whatever is sitting around the house/shop. :) I've already
started thinking of a smooth, durable rudder pedal rig using bits of old
bicycle frames and the pedal cranks & bearings. And if I can't score some
Cessna-style vernier throttle handles off ebay or from a junked 150 at the
local airport, I'll probably use the caps from shampoo bottles for throttle/
prop/mixture handles. :D

Did you do much welding on the collective, or was it mostly just cut the thing
up and bolt it together?

	-Matt Bailey