[simpits-tech] Simkits and Phidgets (Roy?)

Chris Brace chris at renovo.co.nz
Mon Feb 21 16:04:26 PST 2005

Matt,

The Piher's on the simkits instruments circuit board can be read
directly by a Phidget InterfaceKit's analogue input . I just rewired the
end of the ribbon cable from the simkit instrument to get to the IFKit
input. The problem with coding them is that Pihers's only go 350 degrees
and so the simkits folks used two of them 180 degree's opposed to get
the full 360 degrees needed. It mean that your code needs to read from
one Phier until a certain point (say 270 degrees) and then switches to
and reads from the other Piher. The other problem we found with them is
that there is some drift in the actual position of the "null" zone in
the Piher when you switch direction (CW vs. CCW). We ended up doing some
adjustments in our software to take care of it but it’s a little
troublesome at times.
The servo instrument are a snap, very simple. The only problem I don’t
like about them is the jerky responses, solved with a smoothing routine
in the software or better yet Chester was supposed to be working on
smoothing in the firmware for the servo board themselves (Phidet
advanced servo).

Cheers
Chris