[simpits-tech] I am currently listening to Iron Maiden - Aces High on my HGU-33 flight helmet

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 17 21:04:17 PST 2005

I'm in the process of restoring this helmet for simulator use. I got the
helmet, heavily used but complete, at a surplus store for 60$. A great deal
when you realize that it's complete and nothing but the nape strap (which
I'm looking to replace) is broken.

It was USN surplus and every square inch was covered with dirty and chipped
reflective tape, which was a bitch to remove. I've still got to sand it,
prime it, and paint it, which will be my next project. I'm thinking of
airbrushing on a camouflage scheme, just to look cool.

But the biggest thing, aside from the reflective tape, has been the
avionics. The original speakers were in the earcups (along with a lot of
decaying soundproofing foam), but were missing wiring and I don't even know
the impedance. I ripped them out, and replaced them with the speakers out of
a broken (mechanically, not electrically) pair of headphones. I soldered
them together and added a 2$ jack from Radio Shack, and now I can just plug
an audio cable into the helmet and my computer and get, perfect, stereo
sound. It's awesome with LOMAC. The sound quality is pretty good.

What I need to do now is find an oxygen mask and add a microphone.