[simpits-tech] Re: Simpits-tech Digest, Vol 24, Issue 8

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Tue Aug 16 16:39:23 PDT 2005

Steverdiamond at aol.com wrote:
>> any pilots can help me with the basics of flying?
>> ive now wired the 737 yokes,rudders ect to the pc,a much better
>> feeling than
>> the joystick,
>> one question do you use rudders just on approach to correct for
>> cross winds
>> ect,or are they used to assist the aerilons on turns as well,
>> silly question i know,but ive never flown before,

The "correct" answer is that you use them every time you move the ailerons.
The "real" answer is that it depends on the airplane ;) 172s, Navions, and a
bunch more really don't need rudder inputs, but 150s and pretty much every
"cool" airplane out there (P-51s, F-16s, etc) needs rudder to get rid of
adverse yaw. And if the airplane has a spinny thing on the nose it'll need
(usually) right rudder on takeoff and climb. European stuff mainly needs
left rudder because the props turn the wrong way.

In reality an airliner only needs the rudder for crosswind landings since
you steer the nosewheel with a tiller and turn on the autopilot shortly
after pulling up the gear ;)
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net