[simpits-tech] Dell Poweredge Computers

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Thu Sep 30 04:46:44 PDT 2004

Matt Bailey wrote:
> Steve's in the US, right?

Yup. Texas, unfortunately.

> You have to get your particular setup approved by the FAA,

That's the tough part...

> then you have to have a qualified flight instructor present,

Piece of cake, I won't be stopping until I have at least my CFI, possibly a
CFII. ATP is right out, though. I have no desire to fly for the airlines.

> and have to be doing actual training towards a certificate/rating, a
> flight test (if approved), or logging time to maintain currency of
> some certificate or rating.

The eventual goal would be to use it for flight training to save my students
some cash and my engine some hours.

> Besides, after it's approved, any operational changes to the sim
> require re-certification........no more tweaking on your sim! :(

Fortunately this is one of those "what they don't know wont hurt me" things.
Kinda like all the fat ultralights out there, the FAA tends to ignore minor
things like changing the processor in a sim. If the same general layout and
function of the sim is the same, they won't know or care. Since it'll be a
replica of the real thing sitting in the hangar on the other side of a wall,
it won't need to change much :) I'm too cheap to throw new approved
instruments into a cockpit. GPS and a laptop is about all I'll need. Maybe
an autopilot, but I doubt it.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net