[simpits-tech] Someone's bound to like this...[OFF TOPIC]

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sun Sep 19 17:00:27 PDT 2004

We should drop the random searches altogether. I don't much care whether
or not the plane I or my loved ones is on didn't have its passengers
randomly searched, as the odds of catching an attacker with this method
(and the odds of such attacker actually having incriminating evidence on
him), are astronimical........the decrease in odds of an attack is
nearly incalcuably small. Also, while another 9/11'ish attack would be
horrible and tragic, the chances of it happening are pretty
slim............it could still happen, just like before 9/11 the chances
were slim and it still happened. As long as we're flying people on
commercial airlines the risk is there. Weigh the risk, take your
chances. At any rate, the searches don't provide much more than peace of
mind for a nation whose sense of security has been upset.

It isn't so much one particular measure.........outside of the fact they
are unconstitutional, random searches are little more than an
inconvenience for travellers. And perhaps that's one reason the public
goes for it. "Hey I don't mind a little extra hassle if it means more
security, I could use the peace of mind." The real issue here is
government intervention. It's prying into rights that are supposed to be
constitutionally protected. If we US citizens (and the issue applies to
other nations as well, at least to those in which fundamental rights are
still relatively intact) decide we can overstep the bounds of the US
constitution and let the government take away our privacy in this
manner, where does it stop?

Chris, the "security at all costs" philosophy is where we get paranoid
and unconstitutional security measures. The logical end of this
no-holds-barred approach results in essentially a prison state. The
panic, the compromising of our great liberties and freedoms, and
nationwide fear are I think more significant to most terrorists motives
than the actual act of killing a few hundred people or wiping out a
national landmark or two.

	-Matt Bailey