[simpits-tech] Using an ATX power supply

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Wed Oct 6 18:49:50 PDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Mike Brogley wrote:

> >Magic, thanks Steve.  +5 at 12 amps.   Smokin' !!
> >

> No no no - a smoking power supply is a Bad Thing. Once the magic smoke
> escapes, electronics won't work any more.

LOL!!

A little while back I was working late, probably the last person in a
building which has just had new fire/smoke detection equipment fitted
throughout.

Its about 9pm and I'm cursing at a server that is causing problems. I've
got the circuit board on a workbench loosely hooked up to the various
peripherals when suddenly there's that sickening 'pop' and smoke started
belching from the psu - aided by the psu's own fan!

In 0.000001nS I've pulled the power cord, pulled the molex plug, and am
running down the corridor with a smoking psu desperately looking for a
window to throw it out of before the funky new smoke detectors trigger and
I get caught having to deal with the fire brigade, police and security for
the rest of the night.

Yes, smoking is BAD!!

--

Roy Coates.