[simpits-tech] Driving LED's form the parallel port (?)

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Tue Nov 2 14:40:20 PST 2004

Stig Jørgensen wrote:
> Unfortunately its not that simple.....
>
> The pulse train is very precise and fast. for deflecting left the
> with of the pulse is 1 ms, for full deflection to the right the with
> is 2ms, these pulses must come within 20ms - and the minimum standard
> delay in a computer is aprox 18ms so you don't have a timer with a
> high enough resolution...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the gizmo ;) Somewhere out there is an IC
designed to run servos off a parallel port. I had planned on ordering a
couple to mess with, but never got around to it. From what I can tell it
just watches the parallel port and converts it's long pulsewidth to a
suitable short one and keeps it there until the port's output changes.

Personally I'd just use steppers and Allegro chips, which is exactly what
I'm doing for a totally different project.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net