[simpits-tech] Driving LED's form the parallel port (?)

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Tue Nov 2 12:07:54 PST 2004

Roy Coates wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Matt Bailey wrote:
>
> > Interestingly, I was just thinking about this the other day. I planned
> > on going online and seeking some Python tutorials on talking to the
> > parallel port, I'll probably need to track down plenty of Python
> > examples as I have virtually no experience talking to system devices. :)
> > If I can get it working (a big "if") my plan was to add it to the gear
> > I'm working on now......I finally got going on building a "full size"
> > joystick setup, got the basic mechanics of it working, plenty of work
> > left on wiring and finishing though. My previous building experience has
> > been almost exclusively with model planes, using soft woods like balsa
> > and lite ply.......working with metal is proving a bit of a challenge
> > for me...... =O
>
> I figure 8 LED's I can operate 'for free' ain't a bad thing. Talking to
> our electronics guru its best to 'sink' the LED's via the port rather than
> try to provide enough mA to drive them directly.

	Hmmmm, driving them just with the parallel port might fry the port, or
would it just not be enough juice? I guess if I use an external source
of power I'm gonna have to learn some basic electronics to make it work,
drat. :P
	But yeah, 8 LED's.......that's enough to get me started for sure. Say,
can you vary the output from the pins individually? Like maybe for
driving a servo or two.........

	-Matt Bailey