[simpits-tech] recycled aircraft

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Tue May 25 13:49:52 PDT 2004

When I took a trip last year to Wichita, Kansas, I saw the ultimate
yard art.

I was an early model Learjet mounted on a pedestal in the house's front yard
at a nose up attitude like during take off.

Imagine some drunk driving by and seeing that!

Will in Wichita I went to a couple of surplus outlets. I was told, depending
on the time, some really good items come up from Boeing (they do repair
on military airframe 747s and others there) and Cessna along with some
Raytheon. One place had stacks of airline grade upholstery material,
seat foam, seat belts, cabin interior material.

I bought a lot of aluminum stock at one place that was all aircraft grade
and about 1/2 of what I would have paid elsewhere. They had a shed of
nothing but every kind of aircraft hardware you can imagine.

Of course, there is the Boeing surplus outlet in Washington near the plant.
I know people that have been there and said you can spend days in it and
not see it all.

I just wish it was not all on the other side of the country.

Fred Mahone