[simpits-tech] Cleaning

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Fri May 14 08:54:36 PDT 2004

John,
In the fire service, masks are disassembled as to removing the
air hose, so you can slosh the cleaner through it, and disassembly
of the exhaust flapper because of build up of debris in the cover.
I never heard of anyone tossing cookies in their mask while I was
a firefighter as there is not much to cause it. Rescue squad was another
matter.

If you want it really clean the first time, remove the exhaust valve and
its cover so the fluid can clean the ports in the mast body. After that,
just using a cotton cloth to wipe the mask is ok. Still take the air
tube loose and after cleaning, hang it vertically to drain. This cleaner
dries pretty fast.

Fred Mahone