[simpits-tech] Civil and military headsets

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Tue May 11 08:58:11 PDT 2004

Since I worked with some avionics, I will try to remember all about the
differences in headsets.

A military headset has a very low impedance microphone, in the order of 5
ohms. The reason is
a very low impedance microphone has a very low output, on the order of 5
millivolts a.c. This keeps cross
talk in the cabling down. The earphones are 19 ohms each and are wired in
parallel, giving a total
impedance of 9.5 ohms. They are in parallel so if one opens up, you still
have one earphone
working.

Civilian microphones are about 600 ohms output impedance and are transistor
amplified.
The civilian microphones started with carbon units just like a telephone.
Occasionally,
you had to give them a sharp thump to unpack the carbon granules. Then they
went to
a dynamic element but to have the same output level, approximately 150-170
millivolts,
an amplifier had to be placed at the element. Now they used electret condenser
elements, which still have the amplifier. A bias voltage of about 6 volts
is fed to the
amplifier via the audio line. The earphones started as two 300 ohm units in
series
to give the civilian headphones a 600 ohm impedance, but was changed to a
parallel configuration so if a earphone failed, you still had audio. But, they
kept the 300 ohm impedance which now gave the total impedance of 150 ohms.
This causes problems when a number of headsets are used at the same time as
the audio panels are designed to drive a 600 ohm load.

By the civilian headsets having higher impedance, crosstalk (audio going where
it is not supposed to go) occurs and to correct this a shielded cable is
usually installed
with the shield grounded at one end only.

A military headset microphone does not match the computer sound card in
either level
or impedance and loads the supply voltage that is produced to power a normal
electret condenser computer microphone. Earphone impedance is about a
speaker impedance
so they work.

If a newer style civilian headset is used, the microphone will probably
work as the supply voltage
is there and the impedance and level are pretty close. The earphones are
higher than ones for
a computer headphone, so the volume will have to be turned down.

I want to use my David Clark military headset for my simulator so I have
been trying to
come up with an adapter design. A commercial adapter is quite costly as it
will have
FAA approval which drives the cost up.

I hope I have helped and not confused everyone.

Fred Mahone