[simpits-tech] New file uploaded to Simpits by Richard.

RickInNoCal at aol.com RickInNoCal at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 00:37:01 PST 2004

In a message dated 3/16/04 8:56:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
falcon4 at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Can't you just use a rotary switch?  I never really bothered to look for
> the difference in encoders and switches.

       No, a rotary switch is a different animal alltogether. A rotary switch
would be used for a selector. For example - a munitions switch with six
positions for six different options would be operated by a rotary switch. Each of
the six detents on the switch would be wired to a seperate input for the card -
placing the switch in position A selects Guns, in position B selects Cannon,
etc etc.

       A rotary encoder, on the other hand, sends only two possible signals -
a clockwise or counterclockwise turn. It would be used to, for example,
adjust the HDG bug on an ADF dial. There are no discrete positions you could wire
to a rotary switch - as long as you keep turning the knob one way, the bug will
just go round and round and round.

Richard