[simpits-tech] Accident report...

Gwen de Lucero gdelucer at columbus.rr.com
Sun Mar 14 00:56:52 PST 2004

Hehe, I was born on Bitburg AFB.

Gwen

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-bounces at simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-bounces at simpits.org] On Behalf Of Gene Buckle
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 12:34 AM
To: simpits-tech at simpits.org
Subject: [simpits-tech] Accident report...

(I posted this to an F-15 forum I frequent, I figured you guys might be
interested - it's on the accident my jet was written off in.)

Ok, I know I promised this info a long time ago, but I got busy and
forgot.  Sorry! :)

The jet was assigned to the 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg AB.

The pilot was Capt. Dennis R. Kuehler.  His assigned duty was Wing
Training Officer and his Aero Rating was Sr. Pilot.

Factual Summary:

On 12 September 1981 at 1459 CET, Eagle 81, a single F-15C, departed
Gilze-Rijen AB, NL, enroute to Soesterberg AB, NL for a planned aerial
demonstration.  At 1518 CET, the pilot of Eagle 81 begain his
demonstration at Soesterberg from a no flap low approach entry (offset
approximately 1500 feet to the left) to runway 31 (the spectators were
aligned along the north side of runway 13/31, and all manuvers were
flown in reference to this runway).  The demonstration terminated with a
pass down runway 31 show line, a pitch up to 25 degrees nose high,
followed by a 450 degree roll and turn to downwind for runway 27 (the
landing runway). The pilot of Eagle 81 lowered gear and flaps abeam the
overrun, and begain a left base turn with the speed brake extended.  At
1525 CET, Eagle 81 crashed 168 feet north, 51 feet past the ned of the
overrrun.  The aircraft slid across the overrun and came to rest 183
feet south of the runway after sliding a total distance of 1557 feet.
During the slide the aircraft rotated in a clockwise direction, and came
to rest on a heading of 061 degrees.  The pilot was uninjured and
completed a ground egress. RNLAF fire personnel responded immediately
and extingused a fire in the number one fuel tank area.

The Air Force Acceptance Date was July 8, 1981.
Total Flight hours was 9.5

The jet was equipped with F100-PW-100 engines and the left one had 46.6
hours on it and the right had 48.2

Replacement cost was estimated at that time to be 13,371,000.00