[simpits-tech] model helicopter shot

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Tue Jun 29 00:01:00 PDT 2004

On Monday 28 June 2004 02:53 pm, Fred Mahone wrote:
> I do not think I could ever have the guts to do what he did with a $2000 rc
> helicopter. One glitch on the radio frequency, and your
> model does a dive bomb for the ground.

	Never flown a helo, but from my fixed wing experience (and I suppose this
applies to anything) once you get over the initial learning curve and build
up your confidence pretty good, the fear of crashing isn't really a factor
anymore. Sure you know it could happen, but you don't worry about it anymore.
I suppose this can be a dangerous complacency in real flying, but it's not
such an issue with R/C. :) Incidentally, I've been into R/C for about 9 years
and have only lost one plane to radio trouble (and it was an AM radio
anyway).

> I thought about getting in to rc helicopters, but after going to the rc
> field where I live and seeing a couple become un-aerodynamic plows and
> totally destroy themselves, I decided not to.

	I really want to try helos some time, but I look at all the cool airplane
stuff I can buy for the "entry fee" into the whirly birds and I just can't
bring myself to it. :)

> Our field is under the shadow of a mountain where all of the radio, tv,
> public safety and assorted other radio systems are sited.
> One survey said there is 20 million watts of radiated power on top. I would
> be afraid of gaining any altitude and the stray rf blocking the receiver
> and the heli becoming worm fodder!

	Ahhh yes, I also might add that I'm in the flat midwest, not much around here
to bugger the plane's receiver.............results in a place like yours
might be different. Hey, you could always take up one of those nearly
indestructible planes and fly it around to "test the water", so to speak. :)

	-Matt Bailey