[simpits-tech] Mil -Spec

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Fri Jun 18 11:45:14 PDT 2004

Erwin,

	Thank you very much for the information. The pictures enabled me to see
what they were describing in military speak! I think more panels will go to
the led backing because of the mechanical strength and precise color
bandwidth needed in military aircraft.

	A lot of people do not know this, but as the human eye ages it looses the
ability to see in the red part of the spectrum first when in subdued light.
I know a pilot that could not read the panel with red lighting at night, he
had to change to blue/white. It is believed this is caused by the exposure
to sunlight without some form of eye protection. This is still being
researched.

	I would guess that for the EL backlighting they have better life than the
ones I got for night lights. They only lasted 100 hours. I know they have a
finite life and it is nowhere near the 50,000 hours of leds.

Fred Mahone