[simpits-tech] Gorton font

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Tue Jun 15 11:10:12 PDT 2004

I spent some time reading MIL-M-18012B, which is available from the
download section of simpits.org., and read about the Gorton font.

This font was designed by the company that made the Gorton engravers that
were used to make the original engraved aircraft panels.
I doubt the military had a lot to do with the design for the font, but just
made it part of the specification. Since all of the companies that now make
panels still use it, it probably is part of the engraving system to this
day. Even Autocad does not have this font as part of its package
and its users are looking for a direct font for drawings.

MIL-M-18012B has the Gorton font shown with a grid drawn around each letter
to give the proportions. The standard also gives the spacing,
height and width so all lettering is of a standard ratio.

Since there seems to be a demand for a TrueTyps font of this engraver font,
it might be profitable for someone to do a conversion. I might give it a
stab when things lighten up some.

As for the translucent Gravoply, the one I bought is specifically made for
backlighting and the white is no blazing white but to me does not appear
grayish. Of course, my 54 year old eyes are not the best now days! I would
guess it would depend on how wide you make the lines as
the eye will perceive the black being dominate and mix it with the white.

My Northern Airborne Technology audio panel has a sandwich of engraved
black over white (which has turned yellow) and one clear plexiglass. Where
there are holes and around the edge they painted the assembly first with
silver paint then flat black. The whole panel is lighted by three
T-1 3/4 lamps. I guess this is to MIL-SPEC, but until I can find this in
print I am guessing.

Fred Mahone