[simpits-tech] OT - Interesting Day

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Mon Jun 7 01:36:04 PDT 2004

Brian Sikkema wrote:

> A kite! Luxury! (Yes, I know, stealing from Monty Python again).
>
> My instructor put me on rollerskates, tied me behind a pack of
> starved dogs,
> let a rabbit loose, and told me to flap! And of course at the very
> moment I
> had finally lifted off, they caught the rabbit and gave me my first
> lesson
> in forced landings....

Rollerskates? Ha! A vacation on a tropical island with topless natives! My
instructor threw me off a cliff and said "this is a stall" then made me walk
back up barefoot!

Engine out procedures can be rough. My instructor pulled both an idiot pulls
onto the active while you're on short final and an engine failure ON THE
SAME BLEEDIN' APPROACH! The man is a sadist.

And yes, the bastard in the Baron got landed on :) I'd rather be alive with
2 wrecked planes than dead with just one.

> In reality, I think on my first dual flight - or one of the first,
> anyway,
> I'd have to look at my logbook - my instructor and I decided to head
> up to 10,000, just for the heck of it. Well, I thought it was just
> for the heck of
> it, anyway. A Cessna takes a while to get to 10k, and, well, he IS
> paid by
> the hour....

The majority of my time was flown out of an airport at about 4300'. 10k was
just a hair above pattern altitude :)
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net