[simpits-tech] TIG

Sean Galbraith sean.g at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jul 14 20:29:15 PDT 2004

At 04:51 PM 13/07/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Only problem I've heard about using a typical MIG setup for aluminum is that
>the soft aluminum wire tends to kink as it's going through the feeding
>mechanism into the cable.

Or be careful in selecting your workspace, to ensure as straight a
cable.  We have a table set up at just the right place so that the cable is
almost dead straight, and don't have feed issues.

>Now the easy way is to get a special handle that holds the spool right there
>at the torch handle and feeds directly into the puddle without traversing
>the entire torch cable.  I haven't tried this but heard it's about as easy
>as it gets.

Hey that's a neat idea! Be no good for production work, but for maint type
stuff....

>Oh, another thing.  I was TIG welding the other day and was getting horrible
>contamination of the weld (pitting, like welding without gas).  Couldn't for
>the life of me figure out why I couldn't get clean welds?  Checked
>everything 4 times, switched welders, rechecked the gas, everything working
>perfect (except for the welds).  Got brand new filler rod and still had the
>same problem.  Switched to a different spot in the shop and problem solved;
>now getting perfect welds with the same machine.  Problem was a small draft
>in the particular area I was in.  Seems it was just enough to blow away my
>shielding gas.  I knew it was like welding without gas.

Hehe, been there before!  Our welding bay is located close to a big
door.  We ended up putting up a wall as a wind break, at times it got so
bad you could see the flame bending as you were welding!

>Just a little personal experience in case you ever get pitted welds and
>can't figure out why.

Another personal experience... ever used Argosheild in place of Argon?  It
*does* work ;-)

SeanG