[simpits-tech] TIG

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Tue Jul 13 14:04:11 PDT 2004

I had thought about training on a TIG welder as we have one in our metal
shop and it is required to have formal training. Unfortunately the only
community college that has the course is about twenty miles the opposite
way I go home making it a 50 mile trip on the evenings of classes.

Fortunately though, I can get a lot of the aluminum I need from our stock
of scraps. I did miss out on some 1.5 x  1.5 x .125 tube
that would have made an excellent bottom frame. I thought they were going
to save it, but they did not.

My biggest work will be the center console and the seat box and center.
Bell uses multiple pieces to make the console frame, seems like they could
have done somewhat better. Maybe they make it like they do for different
applications.

One thing I am going to have to do is learn to swage down the control rods
that have spherical bearings at the ends. If some one stomps on the anti-
torque pedals I have to have something bigger than 3/8 inch diameter to
keep it from bending.

Fred Mahone