[simpits-tech] Cool Toy :-)

Joseph Fagner falcon4 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 13 10:54:28 PDT 2004

Yes it is.  I took a class at the local community college this past spring
session and learned to do all the kinds of basic welding.  When I got to TIG
and just watched that beautiful molten aluminum form those nice beads, my
heart went pitter=patter.  It was at that point I decided that I will
definitely be building my pit out of metal.

Also during that class I watched a video on metal forming.  Taking thin
metal and beating it about a former to take the desired shape.  That is how
I'm going to do my ribs on the hull.

You can pick up a nice TIG set for about $1700 USD.  Go check out the
Lincoln Electric Precision TIG 185.  Got everything you need.

 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57039&item=382733816
9&rd=1> &category=57039&item=3827338169&rd=1

I'm lobbying on SWMBO, head of the house financial committee, on upcoming
budget issues to include one of these bad boys for my defense project
budget.

Jay

I just had my first go at TiG welding. I've done masses of regular gas and

Mig welding but never had the chance to try the elusive holy grail that is

Tig.

It rocks.

It rocks.

It rocks some more.

The ability to stitch lumps of aluminium or stainless steel together so

easily is an absolute marvel. The possibilities this would bring to pit

building... oooh...

Now, anyone got a spare 3,000 USD I can have for my own Tig set?  :-)

Roy.