[simpits-tech] EL lighting

Jim K. JimK at sisna.com
Fri Jul 9 11:15:42 PDT 2004

Guys,
I have quite a bit of EL lighting here that I have been testing for use on
a panel.   I'm running the EL off a 12vdc supply.   There is an inverter
inline that bumps up both the frequency and voltage.

EL does not actually completely DIE but over time its light output fades
and that fading starts immediately although you won't notice that fade for
a long time.      The harder you drive the EL the quicker that fading will
occur.   With our type of application the EL would last decades before
needing to be replaced.

In order to fit EL into a panel you need to trim it to size and cut holes
in the sheet itself where ever a switch needs to pass thru.   The down side
of doing any cutting is that cut edge is then electrically live.  So you
need to tape that edge up to eliminate any "shorting" potential.
Jim