[simpits-tech] EL lighting

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Thu Jul 8 15:59:38 PDT 2004

I have seen the discussions about EL backlighting and would throw in a few
words.

Back when I worked for the VA State Police as a radio tech, we had
GE/Ericson/Ma/Com control heads with silicon rubber pushbuttons and EL
backlighting. The first heads came with green EL and you could not read the
legends at night. They changed to a light blue and it was a tremendous
difference. I changed out the EL panel in mine rather than having to trade
in heads and have to go through the programming.

In school on how to repair the heads, they warned us about the inverter
output, which was 90 volts a.c. The inverter took 12.0 volts and upped it
to 90. It is about .5 inch by 1.5 inch cylinder. The EL was cool to the
touch no matter how long it was on.

 From reading about the panels, you can cut them and punch holes in them as
long as you leave two sides at right angles to each other intact for
powering the panel.

They do have a finite life, I believe 5000 hours, less if you run them at
high brightness.

For more information:

	http://www.beingseen.com/

Fred Mahone