[simpits-tech] Metal construction-

Marc Weigert mail at marceting.de
Thu Jul 8 19:11:05 PDT 2004

Hi Fred,

FM> 	OK, now I am feeling like Mr. Wizard, a science guy that was on Saturday
FM> mornings and showed kids the interesting things about science.

Hehe... and I am following your explanations with BIIIIG eyes!! ;o)

FM> 	For this, I would use a perforated aluminum plate cut to the distance of
FM> rib centers. By using perforated sheet, you do not need access to a device
FM> called an "English Wheel". This is two rollers that you vary the pressure
FM> of contact and roll the aluminum sheet between the  wheels. this causes the
FM> aluminum to stretch and curve. The perforated sheet will allow you to
FM> manually curve the sheet without buckling.

That's a great tip! Thanks!! I thought about using aluminum many
times, but feared the difficulties in working with it. I will check
where I can get these perforated plates and will do a test with them
(applying it to the frame, not yet the fibreglass stuff).

FM> then add the resin/fiberglass to
FM> this. The perforations will allow the resin to go through some and make a
FM> better bond. Also, roughen the aluminum with a fiber abrasive pad, we call
FM> the Scotchbrite.

FM> 	How about it?

Fred - you really helped me alot! Aluminum and fibreglass - this
should give a good skin for my sim! What I want to try to do is to
have the skin as modules that resemble those of the real F-16 (access
doors etc.). It won't work everywhere, but I will try my best ;o))

Once I am working on it, I will post some pics to simpits, so you see
if I succeeded or failed completely ;o)

Cheers & thanks again,

Marc