[simpits-tech] *boggle*

RickInNoCal at aol.com RickInNoCal at aol.com
Sun Jul 4 22:51:02 PDT 2004

geneb at deltasoft.com writes:

> >hi,
> >
> >what next, fissile material?
>
> No, I'm keeping that for the reactor Rob and I want to build in the back
> yard.

Some kid here in California recently came up with an idea for a reactor using
the radioactive material from inside industrial smoke detectors. A
manufacturer obligingly sent him over a hundred broken ones to play with.

He told the paper he had set up digital thermometers in the hope that if his
idea worked out, the coffee can his reactor was in might show a slight but
measurable increase in temperature. Cool Science Fair project, yes?

He called the NRC and got sent a response team when it started glowing red
hot and the needle on his (Also home made) geiger counter was pegged against the
top end of the scale. They had to remove his entire garden shed and about
three truckloads of topsoil.

Richard