[simpits-tech] cost of SSC base

Marv De Beque mdebeque at woh.rr.com
Sat Jan 31 14:22:29 PST 2004

You are right, but a job shop will charge you a set fee to code the CNC
machine, make a first part, and check it for integrity.

This needs to be done for every part that is made via CNC before they go
into production mode.

You should see a price break as you near the 10 piece point and the price
will further drop as you hit the 50 to 100 piece mark.

My guess is that the market will be saturated long before the 50 unit mark.

Once you get the base up and running, there is another issue with the Cougar
grip.  While you effectively eliminate the joystick pots, you still need to
contend with the switches in the grip.   Those can not be replaced with
quality switches since the bosses in the grip's casting get in the way of
using real switches.  I have done some hot rodding of my grip, but the
success has been limited and it takes a lot of my time.

That leads to one of my next projects, producing a quality metal grip that
accepts the real switches.

Marv