[simpits-tech] re: panels for sale

Jim K. JimK at sisna.com
Wed Jan 14 11:31:10 PST 2004

g,
I talked to the sales manager for quite some time on the phone.   It will
all come down to quantities.   If we only buy 2 or 3 sets of panels then
they might be that expensive ($500 ea.).  But if we can order 50 sets, now
thats a different story.

I know we pit builders are a "frugal, make it yourself" type of
group.  :-)   I told him that.  So I told him in my RFQ I'll ask to get
pricing for the less expensive option all the way up to the most
expensive.   He said that was NO problem.

The most expensive panel would be the light panel, the internal pc board
with lights, all the switches and the back plate.
The least expensive method would be just the light panel itself.   It would
be painted and have the lettering but no lights or switches or back panels.

In that less expensive method we would then have to supply the lights,
switches and back plate.   We should be able to save some money going this
route.

Personally I'm thinking that the best price compromise is going to be the
panels with the internal pc board with lights.  We would then get our own
switches and back panels.   That way we don't need to spend the money for
real mil switches.   But it all comes down to what the real pricing is from
the panel mfg.

lets see what the quote is and then we can decide what to do.

The reason I contacted the mfg is because I had nothing to lose by doing
so.   The worst he could of said was sorry we don't sell these things to
non-government groups.

Also, I know the odds of us finding all the panels to complete our F16C
pits is pretty slim.   There are also not many private companies out there
that make simulated panels that we as a group are willing to buy.  Right
now I can only think of one company that sells truly high quality panels.

I have a non-profit aviation company set up, so if we do buy stuff from
this mfg he will be selling to a real company and not individuals.   He
can't sell to individuals.

As soon as i get more info I'll post it here.

But I'm kinda excited to see what the pricing is.
oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.
Jim