[simpits-tech] One more PC case question.........

RickInNoCal at aol.com RickInNoCal at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 18:32:34 PST 2004

In the USA, unlike most other countries, an unsuccessful plaintiff is usually
not liable for the defendants legal costs. Combine this with "no-win, no-pay"
contingency fees for plaintiffs lawyers, and you have a situation where in
all but the most egregious cases a plaintiff has literally nothing to lose in
filing a suit.

This, combined with the dismal educational level of most jurors (Claudius
Ceasars definition of a jury could have been written for the US - "12 men who
were not smart enough to get out of jury duty")  forces most defendant companies
to adopt almost a 'settle at all costs' mentality, as a run-away jury can cost
you millions.

Remember the Dow-Corning class action suit over breast implants ?  A
multi-billion dollar jury award was overturned after a juror admitted to a reporter
that the jury had believed Dow's scientific evidence that the disorders were not
caused by the implants, but that "those poor women were so sick they deserved
something", and tha Dow was rich enough to afford it. Dow settled out of
court for hundreds of millions before the retrial rather than risk a similar jury
that was just smart enough to keep quiet about such misconduct.

Most of the absurd cases one hears about in the news are unsuccessful, but by
the time the case is thrown out the press has lost interest, so all the
readers remember is that the case was filed.

U-Haul today announced that they will no longer rent trailers to Ford
Explorer owners. No court has ever found the Explorer to be an unsafe tow vehicle -
U-Haul's just sick of paying lawyers to fight the cases.

Richard