[simpits-tech] RE: making your own panels

Ido Dekkers idekkers at clicksoftware.com
Tue Jan 6 10:53:34 PST 2004

Hi Marv

Are there any good recourses for  "how to " silk screening ?

Thanks

Ido

             Marv De Beque
             <mdebeque at woh.rr.
             Sent by:                  Simulator Cockpit tech list
             simpits-tech-boun         <simpits-tech at simpits.org>
             ces at simpits.org                                            cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/06/2004 00:34          Re: [simpits-tech] RE: making your
                                       own panels

             Please respond to
             Simulator Cockpit
                 tech list
             <simpits-tech at sim
                 pits.org>

Well, if you silk screen the panel, why would you etch or mill them?  The
silk screen can simply have the lettering blocked so that no paint is
applied to the letters, but paints the field around them black.  That is
what silk screening is all about.

I have done successful experiments with white spray can paint and have had
excellent transmission of light through the paint.  Any system you adopt
just needs to be consistent.

Again, from my experiments, clear Plexiglas is the way to go.  I think the
frosty look is actually a surface treatment you see.  If you polish the
plastic I would bet it is clear.  Again, knowing what I know about light
pipes, you need an optically clear medium.  Light will reflect off the
edges
for two reasons.  The primary reason has to do with the actual boundary
layer.  The n, or refractivity of the material changes at the boundary
layer.  Adding white paint helps reflect what light does not refract back.

For example, the n for a water/glass boundary is easy to see when you drop
fork or straw into the glass.  The handle looks bent when you look down
into
the glass.  That same principle is how a light pipe works.  You need an
optically transparent media.

Marv

On 1/5/04 3:54 PM, "Jim K." <JimK at sisna.com> wrote:

> From: Marv De Beque <mdebeque at woh.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] RE: making your own PANELS
> Use clear Plexiglas not translucent or opaque and spray paint the all
sides
> (top, bottom, and sides) white with a uniform coat.
> Turn the panel upside down and spray paint the back and sides flat black.
> Silkscreen the top layer flat black with acrylic paint.
>
> Marv,
> That would definitely be a good way to make the panels. You could also
mill
> the lettering into the panel.
>
> If you are going to make panels that you can backlight then you need to
> make sure the white paint you use allows light to pass through.
Applying