[simpits-tech] beta innovations

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Thu Jan 1 03:29:27 PST 2004

On Thursday 01 January 2004 02:51 am, you wrote:
> RickInNoCal at aol.com wrote:
> > Nope, none at all   :-)
> >
> > It has a GUI on which you just place what you want where you want it
> > on a
> > virtual LCD.
>
> Oh this is too cool. I have a couple of 44780 LCDs sitting here already, so
> I'll just whip up a cable to connect it. Assuming it works, and I can't see
> why it wouldn't, I'll order some backlit 4x40s. Wonder if I can find some
> inverted contrast (white characters on black) modules somewhere. That would
> be perfect.

	Hey I just thought of something........you could do a GPS with these things.
One model of GPS (an el cheapo Bendix/King unit) actually uses this style of
LCD panel (as opposed to the bright green or color panels in higher-end
units). Might need to write some extra software though, if you want all the
various GPS pages working. Moving map would be the only part you couldn't do
with character based LCD panels.............unless you controlled the thing
pixel by pixel, hmmm not sure how hard that would be.

	-Matt Bailey