[simpits-tech] A-10 replacement

Mike Brogley mikebrogley at ieee.org
Sun Feb 22 11:34:58 PST 2004

That's exactly why - The Air Force is in the Gee Whiz business. There
are only two institutional constituencies in the USAF - strategic
bombers and fighters. There is no structural support for other missions
like recon or non-heavy mud-movers, and CAS is an even more specialized
form of moving mud, with the requirement to coordinate and be careful
where you drop things. The institution was about to obsolete the A-10
before the first Iraq war in 1991, but it did so well (and the F-16s
with the 30mm gun pod supposedly going to replace them did so poorly in
that role) that they were forced to keep (and -gasp- even spend budget
money upgrading) them.

Now they have a chance to argue that they need a common airframe for the
sake of economy of operations, plus they get to counter the
deployability issues with the STOVL (not VTOL) performance of the F-35
(and btw increase their airframe buy), with the plus that they can
finally get rid of that damn dedicated Army support airplane that
doesn't fit with their corporate culture.

What's laughable is that the real reaction to assigning the CAS mission
to something that can't loiter due to it's supersonic fuel consumption
(and the lack of tankers) will be moving CAS to long endurance armed
UAVs, so instead of having USAF pilots working from an A-10 cockpit,
they'll be working from a shipping container looking at a monitor
remotely flying a maverick-loaded predator _prop_plane_.

--
Mike