[simpits-tech] Thrustmaster Elite Pedals

RickInNoCal at aol.com RickInNoCal at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 12:10:40 PST 2004

Here's the wiring diagram for a joystick port.

(male connector on joystick cable)

        .-----------------------.
        \ 8 7  6  5  4  3  2  1 /
         \ 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 /
           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  1  XY1 (+5v)
  2  Switch 1
  3  X1
  4  Ground (for switch 1)
  5  Ground (for switch 2)
  6  Y1
  7  Switch 2
  8  N.C.
  9  XY2 (+5v)
 10  Switch 3
 11  X2
 12  Ground (for switch 3&4) *
 13  Y2
 14  Switch 4
 15  N.C. *

As originally designed, this allows two joysticks to be "Y-Cabled" together,
the two axes on Joystick 'A' using X1 and Y1 and joystick 'B' using X2 and Y2.
The Thrustmasters use a modifed connector so that X2 is the throttle on the
joystick, and Y2 is the rudder pedals.

The problem with wiring your toe brakes straight in is that the design, as
you see, only has four switches. What sticks / yokes with more than four
switches do is make a single switch on the stick show up at the gameport as being
more than one switch closed at the same time. Then the driver intercepts that
combination of switches and interprets it as, say, switch 5, when the gameport
doesn't have a facility for a switch 5. So if you wire your toe brakes to the
wires marked switch 3 and switch 4, say, you'll lose most if not all of your
sticks buttons.

Richard