[simpits-tech] rotary encoder

RickInNoCal at aol.com RickInNoCal at aol.com
Thu Feb 5 14:49:20 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/5/04 10:50:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk writes:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 RickInNoCal at aol.com wrote:
>
> >That rotary is a standard 'phase shift' rotary encoder, so it won't work
> with
> >a keyboard emulator like the KE-72 without a decoder. The Knitter, which I
> >have, is a bidirectional rotary switch, which will.
>

> It will - I use them.
>
> Again though, I'll qualify that with the comment that it will output a
> lower case char one way, an upper case char the other.

       I stand corrected...  I just remembered seeing a description of a way
to use a standard rotary with a hacked keyboard (or an emulator) - you assign
one pair of contacts to, say, 'a', and the other pair to 'shift', so turned
one way it sends a-shift, which comes out as 'a', and the other way it sends
shift-a, which comes out as 'A'.

Richard