[simpits-tech] rotary encoder

RickInNoCal at aol.com RickInNoCal at aol.com
Thu Feb 5 13:22:51 PST 2004

roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk writes:

> >Ok, I tried the P10859-ND panasonic rotary with my KE-72 with no luck.
> They simply will not work correctly for me.  What are some other options to use
> with the KE-72? I know there was some discussion on this topic not too long
> ago but I cant find it.
> >Thanks
> >Justin
> >

> The Piher encoders work - sort of, but you'll only get a mix of one
> letter, either lower or upper case, depending on direction.
>
> Apparently there is a "Knitter" rotary encoder which will work ok but I've
> not found them - yet.
>
> Hagstrom do have a rotary encoder module now which will link 5 encoders to
> the Ke72

That rotary is a standard 'phase shift' rotary encoder, so it won't work with
a keyboard emulator like the KE-72 without a decoder. The Knitter, which I
have, is a bidirectional rotary switch, which will.

The difference - and forgive me if I'm "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs"
here - is that a rotary encoder puts out a pulse across both pairs of
terminals (A-B and B-C), slightly out of phase, whichever way you turn it. Turn it
one way, and the pulse across pair A-B preceeds that across pair B-C. Turn it
the other way and B-C preceeds A-B. To use it on a KE-72 you therefore need to
have a decoder board which filters out one pulse or the other. You can download
the files (for free :-) ) to make a decoder board at
http://www.betainnovations.com, click on hardware... add-ons... rotary decoders.  There's parts lists,
PCB schematic, and the hex code for the PIC all there. He used to have some
pre-programmed PICs available, but that links gone so I guess they're all sold
out.

A Knitter switch, on the other hand, pulses across A-B if turned one way, and
across B-C if turned the other. On the downside, however, let me tell you
that you have to be a little cautious in turning the Knitters - if you turn them
too quickly they miss signals badly. I've found them to be fine for my radio
tuning, but not so good for things like the OBS bug.

As for the 'one letter' limit, the same web site as above has his "KBStudio"
software available for (free) download too. While it's meant for his own USB
keyboard emulators, I've heard unofficially it works with Hagstroms too. It
allows you to asign a macro of up to 16 keystrokes to any switch action. I can't
confirm that though - I use one of the Beta Innovations boards - a lot more
inputs for a lot less money <g>

Richard