[simpits-tech] Friday Humour - a dilemma

Al West mail at prbox.com
Mon Feb 2 01:30:30 PST 2004

On Sunday 01 February 2004 18:54, Marv De Beque wrote:
> Actually, the forum does make more sense, but I am baffled as to why we
> don't use it.

I'd be interested to know why forums make more sense?

Personally I hate forums, they are quite unfriendly and are inhierently flawed
in that they all use different standards and most seem to concentrate on
bells and whistles rather than providing a good text
interfaces/functionality.  For low use (less than 100 messages a day) mail
lists do quite well and for anymore than that then there are newsgroups -
great when used in conjuction with google. Also it's much easier to get away
with reading emails at working rather than browsing websites. Emails arrive
during the day and I read them at convenience.

Some users of this list might be interested in filters - most email/news
programs have them and allow you to do things like delete, move, pass
downloading of a message or run an external program (like SpamAssassin)
depending on things like subject, sender, contents etc. However they are only
any use if people use things like OT (off topic) or FS (for sale - ha or
FlightSim).

Cheers for now,
Al