[simpits-tech] Neat find at the local surplus store.

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 23:25:14 PST 2004

Earlier today I bought a flying helmet for $65. Not quite sure what type,
looks like a HGU-33. It was pretty much complete, too, liner, visor
assembly, visor lock knob and everything. The outside's a little dirty but
that hardly matters. I took it home, took apart the visor assy (it was
sticking for some reason), cleaned it up a little, and spent some time
replacing the old military speakers (the speakers were there, as well as a
lot of decaying foam, but the connecting wires were totally gone) with the
speakers out of a broken pair of headphones. Works good now. It's a great
deal considering a similar helmet would sell for more than twice that
elsewhere, and god only knows how much brand new.

Now all I need is a mask. Who knows, there's still a few days until
Christmas...