[simpits-tech] LAN drop outs

Inventmd at aol.com Inventmd at aol.com
Sun Dec 5 08:08:49 PST 2004

Here is a question for all you networking gurus out there.

This weekend, I had five computers hooked up with (off the shelf) Falcon  4.0
running.  For some reason, one or two computers kept dropping out of  the
game.  (One computer is a ThinkPad r32. All the other computers are  desktops)

We could get five airplanes flying all together -- sometimes for 20 minutes
at a time.  Then suddenly one or two airplanes would drop out and the  screens
would go back to the desktop screen.  (Right in the middle of the  game).

Three of the computers run Windows 98, while the other two run XP  home.  I
have heard that XP home does not network properly, however it does  seem to
work -- for a while..

Usually it is the ThinkPad running XP home that drops out, Sometimes my
Pentium III 500 running Win98 locks up during play.

Other then converting every computer to XP professional and doing clean
installs, is there something simple that I can try?

Thanks

John Li